IPA has a strong history partnering with local, state and federal government and at present, our Government team is seeking an experienced Fisheries Scientist based in Brisbane.
Operating from within the Fishery Monitoring team, you will assist the Fishery Monitoring team on a range of recreational and commercial programs to improve productivity.
You should be familiar with social science literature and techniques. The successful individual will require an understanding of social science survey methods including data collection, data analysis, and interpretation. In this role, you will work closely with other scientists and managers within Fisheries Queensland.
Key duties and accountabilities:
- Data analysis and regular progress checks- specifically testing of estimates (in R);
- Data migration from servers to established software;
- Migration of historical datasets and completing metadata as required;
- Assist with FAD and BRS monitoring;
- Assist with migrating paper-based projects to an electronic system and other sustainable projects; and
- Monitoring communication outputs for various surveys
The ideal candidate will be assessed to the following criteria:
- Demonstrated experience conducting social science projects. Shows competency in data collection, data quality assurance, data analysis, and reporting results through a variety of mediums;
- Writes clearly and succinctly for a variety of mediums and audiences;
- Deliver high-quality work with an eye for detail;
- Sets objectives and goals to achieve project outcomes in a set timeframe. Is capable of recognising and responding to problems and adjusting schedules accordingly;
- Relates well to a variety of community groups and is comfortable engaging with commercial and recreational fishers. Builds effective and constructive relationships with stakeholders both within and external to government organizations;
- Ability to adapt to different projects and deliver innovative concepts at a quick pace; and
- Demonstrated experience with relational databases such as Access, SQL and R statistical package.
Mandatory requirement/special conditions
- Degree in science from a recognized tertiary institution or equivalent academic qualifications;
- Experience in conducting social science projects;
- Experience working with commercial fishers is highly desirable;
- Ability to work in Australia, appropriate work visas as necessary;
- Tech-savvy is a MUST;
- General interest in communications and social media; and
- Ability to travel away from home for periods of a week or more.
You will be a proactive, passionate team member who thoroughly thrives in a social science environment. Our client is looking for someone that is immediately available before the end of January.
If this sounds like the perfect position for you, please express your interest by clicking APPLY NOW!
Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Kayla Desbrow on 07 3225 7500 or email@example.com